The Exploration Meeting is the first step in the Life Planning process.
The intention of the Exploration meeting is to give you the space to fully explain what you hope to accomplish by working with me. That will naturally include whatever financial matters on top of mind.
But we don't want to limit our conversation to purely financial matters! I want to begin learning what a fulfilling and meaningful life looks like for you!
Why am I interested in those non-financial things?
Because the purpose of your financial plan is to enable you to live your great life! Unless I understand what that great life looks like for you, it's impossible for me to construct a financial plan that's right for you.
What should you share?
Here are some prompts to get you thinking:
- If all your financial tasks were perfectly taken care of, what else would you want to work on - or change - in your life?
- If your practice were running flawlessly and you could spend time on what is most enjoyable and rewarding — what would that look like?
- What do you most enjoy spending money on?
- What do you wish you could spend more time doing?
- What’s your favorite memory from the past year? From the past decade?
- If money were no object and you had no obligations, what would you spend tomorrow doing?
- What’s something you know would make your life better?
But don’t feel overwhelmed! You don’t need to reveal more detail about your life than you feel comfortable.
If you have a romantic partner, I'd love for them to join this meeting! But it's not required. Sometimes I work with one member of a partnership, other times with both. It's entirely up to you. And if you'd like help deciding, just hit reply and let me know.
If both of you participate in the Exploration meeting, you will each conduct the core exploration conversation with me individually. While your significant other is engaged in this portion of the meeting, you will be in “listen only” mode.
Specifically, I’d ask you to listen for what feelings and emotions your partner is experiencing as they go through the process. You may have feelings, emotions and opinions about what’s being discussed as well - but for this meeting, focus on empathizing.
You’ll have an opportunity to share what you observed about their emotional experience after they’ve concluded their exploration!
When do we hold this Exploration?
This Life Planning experience is part of the second meeting in the "Deciding to Work Together" process (learn more here).